
This month was also my first time attending the Shad Planking in Southeastern Virginia. All I can say is there is nothing like it anywhere in the country. It's a political event that's been going on for 60+ years where they catch Shad fish in the James River and cook them over charcoal nailed to planks. The event is put on by the local Ruritan Club as a fundraiser and includes political speeches, lots of beer and free flowing beer trucks, Republicans and Democrats alike, and a healthy sign war on the road approaching the open space where this event takes place. It was great to see Republicans and Democrats together this early on in the process and interesting to see the different personality of politics in the other parts of Virginia. I learned a lot and I loved every bit of it. I'll keep this not uber political, but post a few pictures about just how massive this thing really is...
This is the 3 mile road leading up to the shad planking - it is as I found it as I pulled up to the event in the morning - they still inflicted damage on both sides and added more signs for the next several hours until people started coming about lunchtime.

DIRTY hands from all of the signs....

The "tel" - one of the only overnight options in the area..

Working the staple guns...

This one's for you, Hieu - this guy put his sticker on the back of his camo hat... it reminded me of Richard and the good times in 06 - oh how I miss you... and the laughs... LOTS of laughs...

There were guys handing out stickers to celebrate Confederate History Month - I'm still getting used to this below the Mason-Dixon stuff...
5 comments:
That's crazy! So many political people...haha. SHAD! Just love that word, that's all...
Oh my gosh, I'm going to have to think of a drastic punishment for posting that dirty hands picture! That has got to be one of the worst pictures ever taken of me in my 30+ years of living.
Another reason I should not cue up a slew of blog posts in the wee hours of the morning on a caffeine induced high. Not good...
Consider yourself cropped, by request of course. And if that's your worst - you aren't doing half bad... really...
Ok. No more retribution. ;-) Cropping greatly appreciated!
Loving the "I Know Mike Maughan" shirt. :)
Post a Comment