Saturday, April 4, 2009

Amazing Homemade Whole Wheat Bread

I really like making bread. I like that I can do lots of other things at the same time because I have to include enough time to account for letting it rise twice and at the end of the day I have a couple loaves of goodness to last me for quite a while. I've tried a handful of recipes over the last couple of years and this is my new favorite - it's soft and moist while still maintaining all of my favorite things about homemade bread. Go to this website - there's a white bread recipe too and take a look around... and then make this bread... you won't be disappointed.
EZ Wheat Bread recipe (I doubled this recipe)

1 1/4 cup warm water
1 Tblsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup honey or 1/3 cup sugar
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (or whatever combination white/wheat you like..I use 100% hard white wheat. To learn more about the different types of wheat, download my wheat handout)
1/4 cup wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
2 Tblsp nonfat non instant dry milk
1 Tblsp butter/margarine/oil
1 Tblsp vinegar
1/4 cup potato flakes (NOT potato pearls)

Mix ingredients in order listed in mixing bowl of mixer with dough hook attachment (like kitchen-aid) for 12-15 minutes. Let rise until double, 1- 1 1/2 hours. Punch down, and shape into loaf or rolls. Let rise again until double and bake 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped.

Also of note - the girls and I may have devoured an entire loaf that night hot out of the oven with just butter on each of the slices. The other loaf worked great for toast, peanut butter and honey sandwiches - traditional and open face, and just as a sweet snack during the week.

No comments: