Friday, December 19, 2008

Pre-Christmas Blizzard 2008

So... the weather report says to expect lots of snow tonight. I'm excited about this... they even used the word "treacherous" in their description of the evening commute. My car is pulled into the garage and the snow has started to come down... and I have fresh bread out of the oven to make grilled cheese and soup. I'm pretty sure it can't get any better... so far the plans for the night are to be uber productive so it can snow all it wants to... as long as the snow plows come through before I need to drive tomorrow I am very much okay with this situation...

My first blizzard/real snow storm while living in New England
Note: All times are Eastern Standard Time
  • 1:45pm - the snow begins to fall...
  • 2:45pm - flurries have started... just under an inch is on the ground at my house - enough to cover the road completely in white
  • 3:45pm - I'm thinking we're somewhere around an inch and a half, but an accurate measurement would require me to get out of my comfy afghan and take a step into the snow... that's a negative until later tonight... Also - the snow plows came through our little neighborhood street, but are definitaly paying them too much for their brief skimming of the surface...
  • 4:45pm - Just under 4 inches... Snow still blowing in the wind in big, heavy snowflakes...
  • 5:45pm - Snow levels = a lot, and it smells like fresh snow so I'm super happy... like the smell of freshly packed snowballs (I'm not exactly sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but it makes perfect sense to me... perhaps you people who question me did not have a brother to play with to make your childhood as cool as mine)
  • 6:45pm - I thought it was slowing up and I was getting bored just watching it snow and catching up online (it's true... I'm an extreme extrovert... and for some reason growing up getting snowed in seemed like a lot more fun... it probably had a lot to do with having siblings I actually liked to play with and Jessica living close enough to get snowed in together)
  • 7:45pm - So... remember when it was slowing up? not so much... I went out and shoveled our stairs and the walk in front of our house and the growing mound from plowing blocking us all into our driveway... in the hour it took for me to shovel everything it had snowed another inch to inch and a half. Also of note - I'm really out of shape, but it felt good to get my arms and body working and the cold air was a good balance... it's probably weird and will pass after a couple of times... but for now I kind of like shoveling snow... My conservative guess is we're at somewhere around 6 inches - probably a bit more...
  • 8:45pm - Surprisingly coming down pretty heavily after so long...
  • 9:45pm - Other more important things on my mind right now so this will be the last update of the night - it's still snowing pretty hard... My guess is we're at about 7 inches, maybe a little bit more...
  • Midnight - I took a couple more pictures to finish off the night. As of right now we've gotten another 3 or so inches since I came back in from shoveling. That puts us at somewhere around 9 inches in Medford. Crazy, huh? Which means more shoveling for me, but I don't mind.
Somehow the snow is still slowly falling slowly. The plows have come through more than a dozen times leaving a large bank of snow all around the roads. Even the wreath on the floor has a dusting on it...
To be updated throughout - yes I am that ridiculous... and that excited...

Note: Mom - Kelvin's Sorel's are still a little big on me, but they worked great for shoveling snow. I bundled up in a couple sweatshirts and my old jacket. The boots kept my feet warm and dry. Because it wasn't a lot of walking they worked great. With as much snow as there was I really did need some good boots to do the job. Thanks again for letting me borrow them as I wander in this frozen tundra! :) Because I was moving and lifting so much my body was nice and warm despite the temperature being in the teens. Maybe I will be able to survive throughout this cold winter after all... that is if my stock of hot chocolate lasts...

No comments: