Thursday, January 15, 2009

What's 20 pounds? Really...

So, at some point over the last couple of months I lost a lot of weight. I'm not saying it so that you can comment on my hot body... no, no, no... 1 - you should have commented on it before and 2 - I just haven't seen the difference in the mirror as much as I thought I would.

I always thought in the back of my head - when I have a stable job, that is not obscene hours, I will get a gym membership and work my skinny little backside (let's be honest... more like ghetto booty) down to a noticeably more attractive figure. I've never been one big on weighing myself, counting calories, or forcing myself out of bed in brisk weather to torture myself through a workout... sleep was too precious... and I valued my rational decision making far too much... but I did have it in my head to put a better self forward at some point...

When I got home to Phoenix a couple weeks ago some people commented that my face seemed trimmer - a generally true statement so I weighed myself. I was 10-15 pounds lighter... score for those who noticed... and then once I got back to Boston I packed and moved to DC and then got the flu... and in the last couple of days I've lost another 5 pounds. It helps when all food makes you nauseous... literally Saltine crackers made me queezy...

Note: I am not a stealthy 115 pounds... with my frame I would be withering away to nothingness and should be tested for an eating disorder... this was found via a google image search...

So that brings me to right now - I'm getting back to my normal, loud healthy self. I've lost a little under 20 pounds from my peak (highest in my life which was sometime this fall)... that's like a small wild animal... but looking in the mirror I only notice a minimal change. I did drop about a pant size and a half in that time, but my clothes are only minimally less fitted than they were, but then again my dress pants have always been big in the waste on me... For some reason I expected a much more dramatic or a more noticeable change if/when I lost this weight. I mean that's A LOT of weight, right? Perhaps it is an inconsistency between the scales because I did weigh myself on 3 different scales in 3 different regions of the country... but still...

What should losing 20 pounds feel like? Because this is not what I thought it would be...

2 comments:

Nicki said...

The only time I've ever lost 20 pounds quickly, I went from having no children to having a darling little boy. I don't think that's quite the weight-losing experience you're looking for. :)

Jourdan said...

I lost 20 pounds my senior year of high school. It was pretty weird...I could kinda tell the difference, but all my clothes still fit the same and I wore the same sizes. It was actually pretty frustrating...it was like, "Frick, I worked hard to lose this weight, why don't I have anything to SHOW for it?!?!?" The end.