So I LOVE cooking and hosting guests... it's probably unhealthy and out of denial for my cooking skills at times. I'm a better than average cook, but I try to multi-task too much and/or do more than I have time for. If I had unlimited time and cooking was the only thing on my mind/needing to get done I think I could be a great cook. But, alas, that will never be the case and I try to do 15 things at all times instead. I think it really is a matter of just knowing that somehow I'll make it work or that I want everything to be perfect even if it would be unreasonable to ask to do everything. Lately I've been much more realistic with myself and only doing things that I have time for and/or don't put me over the top. This all may be too much information, but somehow it makes perfect sense to me.
Either way - last night I had friends over to watch the VP Debate. It started as a coworker thing and then expanded into an all friends thing. It was so good to see everyone. I didn't realize how fond of them that I had become, but it's always full of laughs, stories, and good times when we hang out. Mindelynn was kind enough to suggest we play Palin and Biden Bingo so with M&Ms and Skittles in hand we listened for both of them to say their common phrases. Mahoney won for the night off her Biden board which was great. The idea was a great idea to neutralize the intensely political with those that are engaged merely because it's a presidential election or curiosity. The irony is that the line between friends, coworkers, etc. wasn't as clear cut as you may have expected - it wasn't just a line between friends and coworkers. I also suppose they are all just friends, but I compartmentalize my life into niches for every place I live - when I am in a new city they will all shift into Boston friends in my head although there is still a sub group somewhere in my psyche that I understand. It allows me to remember names, associations, and people much better so it's handy, but I'm sure a little on the OCD side.
With the friends coming over I made chili and cornbread for the gang - hence the first part of this post. I would have tweaked a few things with spices, but it turned out pretty well. It really is just a matter of getting to know a recipe in order to work with the proportions and the types of seasonings. In terms of the debate - it was interesting to see the focus group returns during the debate and to hear the responses of those around me. I'll keep my thoughts for private conversations, but on the whole it was a pretty good debate. I was disappointed in some things, but pleasantly surprised in others so on the whole - it was pretty good.
This is the first year that I've really paid attention to the debates so I don't have much to compare it to. Looking back, I wish I had paid more attention in 2004 - I was old enough to understand, I could have had the time, but instead I was playing with it being my first semester of college. I voted, but I didn't watch the debates. I see it through this lense of understanding a little bit about politics now. I see it through talking points and briefings and through messaging instead of truth. I am curious as to how anything would be taken by a political outsider. Oh well - there are lots more debates to come in my lifetime so I can figure that out another year during another election cycle.
I'm excited for another round of Bingo with next week's debate and most importantly for General Conference this weekend! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment