Sunday, October 19, 2008

Head of the Charles..



This weekend was a head or time trial for some of the best Crew in the country. I haven't watched much crew before except for as I'm driving down Storrow at night and watching the BU, BC, MIT, and Harvard teams practicing since I've gotten to Boston. It's absolutely beautiful and it just makes sense to me. When I think of the Charles River and Ivy League schools I think of Crew for some reason. I may have been looking forward to this for weeks and in turn went down early, found a great spot right on the river where I could hear the coxswain and the "swishing" of the oars and the rhythm of the boats. I took A LOT of pictures (almost 500 in one day) and a couple of videos. It would have been nice to find a quiet place on the river and go down again today after church (my church building is only a two blocks from the Charles on the Cambridge side), but with dinner group I headed home to cook (pictures to come as well). You can really tell the teams that were in sync with each other and who were doing it correctly. I loved it! I'd love to watch more or even try it some time if I were in better shape. Maybe in a couple of years...

My favorite by far was the men's club power-eights on Saturday. We had a couple of pretty good races going in front of us and some people duking it out for the best line as they moved West on the river. The singles were far too slow to be that exciting. It was fun to watch the old men doubles. They really were old though - silver hair and all - but they were in better shape than I have ever been in. Enjoy the pictures and video, everyone!



And now some videos:



1 comment:

Closer To Home said...

What a great weekend. Looks like Cafe Rio for a month. (Or maybe you can take it with you to FHE.)

I totally get what you're saying about crew, but still shots just don't convey any of that. Thanks for including the videos.