Monday, August 24, 2009

Bon Appetit!

Every weekend with Carolyn has a theme... and without a doubt the theme for this weekend was "Bon Appetit!" said in a Julia Child accent while simultaneously throwing your arms in the air to signify digging into a feast. I hope you have a mental image right now... you shouldn't read any further if you don't... it won't have the same effect.
Way back when Carolyn visited DC the first time we went to the American History Smithsonian and took a gander at Julia Child's kitchen... I had seen a preview for the movie coming out called Julie and Julia and told her how excited I was to see it... this lead to an agreement that one of us should travel to the other person's neighborhood and we should do a weekend of cooking and see the movie when it came out. (Note: THIS blog post) Seeing that my job responsibilities keep me in Virginia, Carolyn came down here. She kept herself busy while I went to events and worked and once that wrapped up late Saturday night and for part of Sunday before she headed back to NY we cooked up a feast. Literally...
We roasted chicken, baked decadent brownies, somehow created this amalgamation of potatoes and gruyere that will certainly induce a food coma, but a very happy food coma at that. The stuffed peppers were roasted on the grill rather than the oven and were divine. Ther herb biscuits were a little dry because we added more flour in the rolling out process than was suggested, but otherwise it was an absolutely perfect meal. Roommates and friends joined us to enjoy on Sunday before scooting off to the bus station.
Carolyn - it's always an adventure and I love every second you are down here. Come back soon! Plan on a November visit from me and lots of frolicking in the city :) It's been far too long since we've wandered those streets together...
As for the movie: We loved it! I came away in love with Paul Child as much as Julia Child and we both had this urge to make something wonderful. It's a movie I'll buy and have on in the background while I'm making dinner or trying a new recipe.
As for the recipes: I LOVE Julia Child! Every. single. recipe. was delightful and full of flavor. That woman mastered cooking. The portions were not nearly as large as we were expecting, but was perfect for our little dinner party of 5-6 with some leftovers. I will be buying her cookbooks the next time I purchase one... they are THAT good.

2 comments:

jenny said...

What a fun blog! We haven't caught up in forever!!! I graduated in April and I'm just looking for a job. If I end up in New York I'll join you and Carolyn on your fun weekends! PS, You look SO great. Miss you dear.

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

What a great weekend. Never a dull moment when we are together now is there? :) Pictures are great by the way. You roasted a WHOLE chicken. Who does that.