Thursday, July 16, 2009

Memorial Day in DC...

Yes... you heard correct... Memorial Day... I am THAT behind on blogging.
A group of us from the ward meandered up to the capitol on the Sunday night of Memorial Day weekend for the National Symphony Orchestra concert that was broadcast on PBS across the country. It was great to meet new people, catch up with old friends, and to enjoy the summer night. Most folks were still down at Duck so we gathered whoever was around. Concert turned out great too - definite political leanings when they paired a trumpeter playing taps with a tenor singing "Bring them Home" from Les Mis, but at least that's largely where the politicizing ended. The weather was starting to get more and more humid leaving me a little greasier and my afro is starting to show.
I have to say - this was the first time I had enjoyed the perks of patriotic holidays living so close to the capitol and it really was lovely. Maybe the concert wasn't perfect or exactly what I would have chosen, but it was great to enjoy a free concert in the shadow of the capitol building with great new friends. Major props to Melissa Mortenson, Jenni Skeen, and Talli Whittemore for being generally amazing in my book and for becoming friends with me or better friends that night.

No comments: