Friday, July 17, 2009
CRACK! KAPOW! BOOM!
So... in the beginning of June we experienced not only a lot of rain, but some flooding and lots of thunder and lightening for a couple of weeks. One night - I opened up my window to enjoy the wonderful smells of fresh rain and fall asleep to the sound of the water coming down. I remember that night having particularly loud thunder, but nothing too out of the ordinary.
In the morning, I reached over in a groggy stupor for my computer to check my e-mail, peruse the newspaper online, and start the morning routine. My internet wasn't working which lead me to get a little frustrated. After reseting the router still no luck - so I grabbed the laptop and decided to head over to the Riverhouse to mooch off their wireless to turn in lists before my morning call.
On my way out - my neighbors asked if we had any electricity because theirs was off and they were having trouble. I wrote it off like nothing was really going on except for a normal outage with the power company.By the time I got back from sending my e-mail the power company had shown up in full force to cut up the tree that had fallen on our powerline. I put on some legitimate shoes (not my slippers) and went exploring in the backyard to find that not only had a tree fallen down on our power lines and fence (and neighbors house), but it was in fact a tree from our yard and it had taken our internet cable with it.
It did take me almost an entire day to piece together all of the details - partially because I wasn't looking all that hard and I had only lived in this house for a week or two and didn't remember in what state the tree in the backyard had looked like the day before. I came to find out (through finding branches that were burnt to a crisp) that our tree had been struck by lightening and fallen. It missed our house - and in thankfully that means I did not wake up with a tree in my lap - as would have been the case had it fallen just 2 feet to the right. Power was restored that morning and internet (thank you Comcast) took almost an entire week to get back and operational.
Happily all are safe and through a little elbow grease our house looks even better now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, that's crazy! So that was why the internet was out....cool story! When to come to DC?
Post a Comment