Wednesday, May 6, 2009

MMM Cannoli :)

A couple of months ago Becca posted some recipes and results from the Hungry Girl cookbook and gave it rave reviews. I'm not one to look for dieting recipes, but with the recent getting healthy and being skinny trend I've dabbled in I did perk my ears up when I saw this. I'm skeptical that healthified food can maintain the flavor and richness of full-fat food, but I've been pleasantly surprised over the past couple of months.
While Carolyn was in town we decided to try out one of those recipes that I came across in the last month for Cannoli and my oh my was it good. We definitely added a few more chocolate chips than the recipe called for, but considering how healthified it was and how great it tasted I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone.
It took us about 5 minutes in total and was super easy... we definitely indulged on Sunday afternoon before Carolyn went home, but it was so worth it.
Holy Moly Cannoli Cones

PER SERVING (1 cannoli cone): 134 calories, 1.75g fat, 184mg sodium, 21g carbs, 0g fiber, 10.5g sugars, 6g protein -- POINTS® value 3*

You will FLIP OUT when you try our creamy, creative take on chocolate chip cannolis!!!

Ingredients:
6 sugar cones (like the kind by Keebler)
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. fat-free ricotta cheese (or one of the alternatives below)
2/3 cup Cool Whip Free, thawed
2 1/2 tbsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
2 tbsp. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 tbsp. sugar-free fat-free vanilla instant pudding mix
1 tbsp. powdered sugar

Directions:
Place all ingredients except the cones and chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high until mixture is fully combined and fluffy. Fold in half of the chocolate chips.

Carefully transfer mixture to a large plastic bag, squeezing it down toward one bottom corner of the bag. Snip that corner off with scissors, so that you have a makeshift piping bag.

Gently squeeze the ricotta mixture into the cones, evenly distributing it among them.

Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips evenly on top of the filling in each cone.

Eat and enjoy!

MAKES 6 SERVINGS
Hat Tip to Hungry Girl for the Recipe - it's a good one... good enough to go buy their cookbook.

Note: I used sugar rather than splenda because it was in such a small amount, but otherwise followed the recipe above.

3 comments:

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

YUM! I bet those would be even better if you, you know, dipped them in chocolate chips after every bite. Just a thought

Jenna said...

I haven't used my Hungry Girl cookbook for awhile, but you make me want to break it out again! I'm not really a fan of the way she overuses "chemicals" to cut out the fat, but I do love the way she uses pumpkin and squash!

Adi said...

Oh you just made my day.. a new recipe, they look great!