Saturday, March 28, 2009

Multi-Tasking or Not Letting Go?

I don't know what it is lately... well, let's be honest... this isn't a recent change... I can't do just one thing at a time. On a Saturday night when I've been all over the place all week and I'm tired from a lot of heavy lifting and lots of walking this morning I just wanted to curl up on the couch to watch a semi-brainless movie. Don't get me wrong, I love mentally stimulating entertainment, but sometimes it's just nice to check out a little bit.

The problem with this idea, and I think the reason why I don't know how to completely emotionally re-energize, is that I don't check out. I put on a movie that would allow me to check out in the background of whatever else I'm doing.
Tonight this meant sitting on couch watching a chick flick (don't judge.. and if you do.. I'm not sure that I care - I love chick flicks on nights curled up on the couch drinking hot chocolate and you should too), but I was also catching up with a few dozen people via e-mail, gchat, and facebook that I have neglected for the past couple of months. I had a few journal posts open and stewing while I perused websites for pictures related to the posts and a few recipes simmering that I am thinking of mixing up. Granted it's just me on a couch with a laptop on my lap, but it's a lot going on simultaneously in my head.

How many of you suffer from this problem or am I the only one that can't quite shut down?

3 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm so awful about this. I always have at least 20 tabs open that I'm flipping back and forth between in firefox, with dinner on the stove, laundry that I'm working on, and a blog post that needs to be written which I'm ignoring.

Gayle said...

Your dad is like this. When we would go on vacation, he would take the first 3-4 days just to settle in before he could do any relaxing.

Andrea said...

Haha that post is exactly what I think of when I think of you! Well that, and "Hey Hot Stuff". You are amazing!