Friday, March 20, 2009

Make it a HOT one...

All of you should be aware of my deep and lasting love for hot chocolate... I drink it year round and love every last drop. I'm not a diva about it - I like the cheap stuff just as much as the expensive stuff, but I do know what I like most.

Around Christmas time this recipe came across on the blogs and I immediately started to drool. It was a Pavlovian moment for sure, but either way - it includes ingredients every pantry should have - milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, whipped/whipping cream, and chocolate syrup. To be honest - I don't normally have chocolate syrup or whipping cream on hand, but roommates almost always do....

Denise and I made a night of it with dinner and this extra treat to top it all off. Yes these pictures are from mid-december when I saw the recipe and that is my Boston home and Denise from Watertown... but I don't live there anymore. Sadly, these nights with Denise and the others in my Boston posse will have to wait until they come visit me (hint, hint) or I can make it back up to New England.

Hat tip to Real Mom Kitchen for the recipe (don't judge, yes, I do read mom-blogs because they post gems like this one).
Hot Vanilla

1/2 cup of whipping cream
1 tablespoon of chocolate syrup
Dash of cinnamon
1 cup of milk (per hot vanilla)
2 teaspoons of sugar (per hot vanilla)
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract (per hot vanilla)

1. Start with the topping. In a medium bowl, whip 1/2 cup of whipping cream until it's frothy. Add 1 tablespoon of chocolate syrup and a dash of cinnamon, then continue to whip the mixture until everything is well blended and peaks form. Makes enough to top about 6 drinks.

2. For each hot vanilla, microwave 1 cup of milk and 2 teaspoons of sugar in a mug for 90 seconds. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Top with a dollop of chocolate cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and a dash of cinnamon.

What I thought: It was GREAT! If you do go the cinnamon route be careful to mix it completely. One of my favorite things about hot chocolate is the extra pool of chocolate that sometimes ends up at the bottom of the cup and gives you a rich sip as you finish up your cup. It does not taste nearly as good to get a mouthful of pure cinnamon because of the same situation... mix it up and you'll be golden. I really recommend all of you try this for a cold night, a family FHE, or well anything for that matter...

No comments: