Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Thanksgiving CHALLENGE...

Hello friends, family, and complete strangers! I am so excited for Thanksgiving this year and I think you should be too. Not all of us can spend the holiday with family and we all seem to be riding the roller coaster that life is, but there is still so much to be grateful for. We have our health... We have friends and family who love us even if they aren't close by... We have food on the table...
This is my first Thanksgiving with the Plymouth colony just down the road and the home of the first Thanksgiving, as the story goes. I wanted to do something different to celebrate this new proximity and to take a step back from the Turkey Bowl games, the warm smells of kitchens all around town, and from the guaranteed games that will ensue with the other YSAs after Turkey and Pie.

So now that brings us to the challenge... In honor of this day of sharing our gratitude and appreciation for our blessings I challenge each and every one of you to write in your blogs or your journal at least 100 things you are grateful for this Thanksgiving. I'd prefer your blogs so that we all can be reminded of just how much we have been blessed with this year and this season. You may think that is an awfully large number of things to be grateful for, but it really isn't... That and we have thousands of things to be grateful for if we just slow down and look around once in a while. It may take a few moments of quiet reflection, but our hearts will be changed and we'll all feel a little more love... I PROMISE!

Here's my list:
  1. My Mom
  2. My Dad
  3. The Temple
  4. Small temples that have been everywhere I've lived
  5. The Book of Mormon
  6. My Savior, Jesus Christ
  7. The Atonement - and coming to a better understanding of it and just how much it covers (the perfect, infinite Atonement)
  8. Having the necessities of life - roof, food, clothing
  9. Priesthood Blessings
  10. Living in Boston and experiencing the history of the area
  11. Getting to know the Bromley's much better this year
  12. Prayers being answered
  13. The peace of the Holy Ghost
  14. New England Fall Leaves
  15. My growing collection of cookbooks
  16. A running car that is reliable
  17. Great gas mileage for said car
  18. Cheezy Chick Flicks
  19. Melissa
  20. Andrea
  21. The Game of Risk
  22. Being Ty's pawn in Axis and Allies/Always killing Maria first
  23. Ty
  24. Maria
  25. Ike
  26. Inside jokes involving Irkutsk from Reno
  27. Duck Hunting
  28. The mouthwatering that occurs when I think of Awful-Awfuls at the Little Nugget
  29. Siblings and Nieces and Nephews who I love and love me
  30. The New FamilySearch
  31. That it hasn't snowed in Boston yet this Fall/Winter
  32. That I didn't die/get in any car accidents crossing Donner Pass this last Winter
  33. Seeing the Country in such a short period of time
  34. Being able to work for Governor Romney
  35. Working for Joe and having him as a friend now
  36. The Adventure that is my life - that it is an adventure, not a boring changeless life
  37. Being able to visit Carolyn in New York (SO excited for New Years!)
  38. Carolyn
  39. The ability to make friends
  40. Having made friends in every state that I've lived so far no matter how short my time there was
  41. Hieu
  42. Michelle
  43. The hilarity of politics - and the inside stories
  44. My parents starting to blog
  45. The e-mails in my inbox when you leave my comments and the feeling that I'm loved each brings
  46. The convenience of Food Blogs with all of their great pictures
  47. Prop 8 passing
  48. Democracy in our country - even if the vote goes against my own opinions
  49. Scarves and fingerless gloves that my mom has knitted for me
  50. Curling up in my yellow afghan
  51. Institute classes and firesides
  52. Google Chat and Gmail - to keep in touch with old friends and family
  53. The normalcy and settling that happens when you don't think you'll be moving
  54. The feeling you get when you wear high heels
  55. Faith and Hope - and the peace that it can bring
  56. Becky and pictures of her little boy
  57. Lindsay - and her making it in DC
  58. Passing Cassie in church a few months ago
  59. Finding my group of friends here in Boston
  60. Cassie
  61. Holly
  62. Adam
  63. Michael
  64. The Nertz Posse and regularity of playing
  65. Becca - hope you are loving rocking out to your play list this weekend
  66. Jost and seeing him at church on occasion
  67. The rest of the old work posse
  68. Knowing how to cook and bake
  69. Cory still calling for tech help after the election
  70. Finding a place to live with lots of parking and a big closet
  71. Gilmore Girls re-runs
  72. Yale - and our constant bickering back and forth
  73. Friends who care about me and care how my life is going right now
  74. Remembering the "Summer of Awesomeness" in the Enclave
  75. Understanding enough about the world to not be scared (on the whole)
  76. Old Jazz Standards that give me warm fuzzy feelings
  77. The Season for Christmas Music
  78. That I'm not married yet - and as a result have had so many opportunities and experiences up until now
  79. Knowing I will be married - someday...
  80. My Crackberry addiction/the convenience of a Blackberry
  81. Going home for Christmas and seeing my family again
  82. Eggs Benedict on Christmas Morning
  83. Books and Reading
  84. Inheriting my father's books when he dies in a hundred years (hint, hint)
  85. Organization - and the process of organizing
  86. My Happy Face Scripture Lunch Box - absolutely functional and makes me chuckle to myself every time
  87. The Posse in California - the girls who made me feel at home, the guys who tried to discuss politics at every turn, and the other ones who reached out to me when I was seemingly alone (Nicole, you were the first)
  88. Being friends with Scott after so many years - a decade this Spring
  89. My health and the health of my family
  90. Knowing my way around and getting lost very few times since I moved to Boston - this is a true MIRACLE no matter how amazing my directional skills are
  91. That I wrote a journal for most of this year that I can and do look back at it - I was amazingly wise and spot on with impressions really early on with some experiences
  92. Confidence and Self-awareness
  93. Technological Development - and that I'm alive now to appreciate and experience the growth
  94. Heavenly Father's plan for me... and not my plan for me...
  95. General Conference twice a year
  96. Mine and Maria's stories from Reno - those will be hours of entertainment for our grandkids
  97. Moving so much growing up so that the last 3 years wouldn't kill me emotionally
  98. That the Freshman Posse and I are still distantly connected
  99. The changing, growing, stretching, and experiencing that happens everyday in my life - in a seemingly fast pace over the last couple of years
  100. That someone actually reads this blog...
Now that you've seen that it is absolutely doable it's your turn. I tag YOU. Don't get me wrong... the last ones are harder than the first ones, but this an absolutely doable exercise. I tag you whether I know you or not... I tag you whether I know you read this blog or not (there's a good chance I blog stalk your blog and will find out if you passed this up)... I tag you if you're going through a hard time right now... I tag you if you couldn't be happier with your life... and most of all... I tag you because I love you.

I'd love to see your list and to see who participates so just leave a comment with a link to your list or a mention that you added it in your journal...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

5 comments:

Closer To Home said...

I feel sorry for the 101st person you're thankful for because they didn't make the list.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Becca said...

YES! i made the list! VICTORY!!

Andrea said...

Love it! I will make a belated Gratitude list!

Mandy said...

Great list!
Congrats! You won my bloggy giveaway for a progresso gift basket! Email me you address and we'll get it to you.
-Mandy
www.gourmetmomonthego.blogspot.com

Nikol said...

Aw, that's happy! I'll take your challenge after work :) Hope everything is going well for you!