Saturday, November 22, 2008

I am in LOVE!

Last night I was introduced and I will never be the same... No, Mom and Dad I'm not talking about THAT kind of love. That part of my life has been seemingly inactive since I got to Boston so there's nothing to worry/be excited about there. no, silly... I'm talking about Italian pie. I had Ricotta Pie for the first time - Cathie brought it to the Ward Pie and a Movie night at the church. I did meet old and new friends. We laughed and enjoyed the beginning of the Christmas Season as we watched the original Miracle on 34th Street on a projector in the gym. We all crowded onto the couches from the foyer and the chairs from the Relief Society room.

The whole night was a lot of fun, but the highlight was the Ricotta Pie. Cathie got the pie at an Italian bakery near her house in Revere and it's on my to do list to bring one home for Christmas for the family. It has the consistency of cheesecake, but tastes like a cannoli - a cannoli that isn't too sweet or rich. Let me know - otherwise I'll just get a large slice for myself to eat on the flight home.

We've lived around lots of Asians (twice - Walnut, CA and in Bellevue, WA) and around a noticeable Hispanic population in Arizona and to some extent in California. We have come to love carne asada from carnesarias and anything that Seiko makes in general. I'd take Happy Wok just about any day of the week, but this is my first time living near such a large number of Italians. I suppose the Irish history in Boston is not nearly as obvious in the circles I run in. Either way - I'm loving the goodness that this addition brings to my life.

New Goal: Find a legitimate recipe for Ricotta Pie to make over and over again...

A few prospects after a quick Google search - Rose Galletta's Ricotta Pie, Nan's Easter Ricotta Pie, and Italian Easter Ricotta Pie...

I suppose the fact that this is an Italian tradition for Easter should tell me that I should wait for the Spring for the truly wonderful recipes... but I'm not one to wait patiently for the seasons to change...

No comments: