Thursday, November 6, 2008

The American President

So... I love the movie "The American President" more than most. Yes, it's political and yes, it's a chick flick which I feel could be a good combination. It also has the writing of Aaron Sorkin and the directing of Rob Reiner. I like both - for their movies and tv shows... not their politics. If the movie were about a different lobbying group or policy organization I'd like it even more, but even still... I love the movie.

I decided I would watch it tonight, again, and thought I'd post my favorite lines from the movie. Enjoy!


Michael J. Fox/Lewis Rothschild: "Can I just say very clearly I can't be part of anything illegal"
Martin Sheen/A.J. MacInerney: "Good for you, Lewis."
Michael J. Fox/Lewis Rothschild: "You can say what you want. It's always the guy in my job that ends up doing 18 months in Danbury minimum security prison.


Michael Douglas/President Andrew Shepherd: "If Mary hadn't died, would we have won three years ago?
Martin Sheen/A.J. MacInerney: "Would we have won?"
Michael Douglas/President Andrew Shepherd: "If we had to go through a character debate three years ago, would we have won?
Martin Sheen/A.J. MacInerney: "I don't know. But I would have liked that campaign. If my friend Andy Shepherd had shown up, I would have liked that campaign very much.


When I was in California someone referred to me as a "Hired Gun" and I got all excited. It was more in reference to me being a transient political staffer than as a top lobbyist or manager who gets the best clients in the country, but it was a start. Maybe someday I'll be a real hired gun and not just a political vagabond... For those of you confused right now, Sidney Ellen Wade is referred to as a hired gun when she is hired by the environmental lobby to push a bill on fossil fuel reductions and then dates the president.

1 comment:

Becca said...

YES! Love the shout out to Danbury, CT in this movie. Immaculate High School represent.