Sunday, September 27, 2009

Campaigns and Being a Lady...

So officially being a lady and working on a campaign are contradictory. In previous campaigns I haven't embraced nearly as many of the feminine levels of awesomeness that should be expected of girls in our culture. Instead I continued to bite my nails, wear t-shirts and jeans for months on end, and put my hair into a pony tail. It also means my figure represented something more closely associated with a large square block with some extra curves for good measure.

Today - I once had a slim little figure with cute little curves. I once had great nails that were manicured and professional. I do have a haircut that is adorable - it looks great when it's styled and blow dried. I now have a more voluptuous version of myself than I intended to get back to. My nails are still long (yes, mom - aren't you excited?), but I trim them back regularly so they don't get in the way and polish looking good is a funny joke of an idea. My haircut doesn't allow for ponytails, but it does allow for wavy afros when I get out of the shower and don't have time to style it. It involves mouse and shaking my head back and forth, but it functions as a semi-styled 'do in a crunch. Basically I'm turning into a hot mess... heavy emphasis on the mess.

Post-Campaign Plan: Reclaim my body back to a more trim version of myself, well manicured hands and enjoying kicking the biting the nails habit, and doing my hair and make up not in my car. I'm so excited about getting my identity and more bubbly personality back. I want to be me again or to have people want to talk to me because they like me not just because I can answer questions about a candidate or campaigns or politics. For the last couple of years people have come to me for bumper stickers and some kind of connection to get ahead, but the select few have become friends because they got to know me in addition to the politics. I love those people even more for getting past my job and for transcending all of the moves. I want to sleep full nights and be able to laugh with friends. Heck - I'd settle for seeing my friends every once in awhile at this point.

This may not be a lady's world, but I'm excited to be a lady again soon.

1 comment:

LMemory said...

Whatever, you came home from work last week in heels and a sexy LBD! I was a witness. And I liked the free-flowing curls.

And I like talking to you. Go girl, go!