My life really is an uber cheesy, uber awkward chick flick.
I don't mean the part where the girl gets the dreamy guy or the part where life just falls into place. I mean it in the my life is just a series of stories that could start off a chick flick - the awkward girl stories, the flighty and absentminded girl, the guy who is the doting friend but never the boyfriend. My life is that.
There was the time the guy pulled a move during General Conference in Reno. Then there was the time another guy pulled a move during the next General Conference in San Francisco. There were the boys who called from across the country and some even flew out for visits who I just was unaware liked me romantically. There was even the time a developmentally challenged kid proposed to me. The list could go on and on...
They made for great movies when they end in magical romance and a passionate kiss. They don't make great movies when they just keep happening one after another, after another, after another.
So the latest installment into this category of my life happened a couple weeks ago. I've told a couple of you, but for the most part this has been kept on the DL to protect the names of the others involved. I clearly have no shame so there's no protecting me involved.
Here goes...
A guy I used to swoon over just a bit and he used to swoon for me too moved back to the current state. He's still a best friend and we've talked every day for a year and a half now. Once he got over his initial inclination to avoid me when I held his feet to the fire to help me with my job we've been great friends.
So we both went to a meeting and then headed to a bar to grab a bite to eat after wards. All you need to know is that there's me (I actually was reading my Book of Mormon while I waited for him to park his car in the bar... yes... that's me) and him dressed up late at night in a bar.
We were catching up - talking about people, talking about work, talking about the city he was returning to... all was going well. It was a lot like old times without the emotional angst that used to build up. It was nice. I started to not feel well mid-conversation. I didn't think much of it - just that I had eaten something didn't agree with me at some point during the day. It started to get worse, but not overwhelming when he asked about me and guys. Specifics. He asked about a couple guys he knew I had developed crushes on.
Note: this was new territory for us. We had never discussed us liking anyone else since we decided not to date. We both tip-tied into the subject, trying to read the other's response to each question and body language.
We were doing well. I told him about a couple guys I had feelings for and he was the supportive friend. At this point I started feeling really nauseous. I would have excused myself then, but this was shaky as it was and I didn't want to give him the wrong impression.
Right as my stomach took a turn he then tells me he has a girlfriend. Yowza! So I wasn't 100% surprised, but it certainly wasn't expected. I told him how great that was and asked who she was. I asked if she was good enough for him. I truly was excited for him and wished happiness for him, but my body language did not show this. I was starting to physically turn green (not kidding). My face was grimacing in physical pain and I kept getting fidgety in my seat. The contraction between my body language and my words had to have been very confusing.
I quickly excused myself and ran to the bathroom. It was now last call at the bar and of all people to be vomiting in the bathroom it was of course me. The Mormon. The girl drinking root beer and water and reading my scriptures. I was the one vomiting.
Editor's note: I later found out that he had surmised that 2 things were happening at this point 1 - I was clearly offended or more emotionally attached than I let on and he shouldn't have told me about the girlfriend or 2 - there was something he was missing. Something didn't add up and he didn't have enough information.
So I cleaned myself up and came back to our table. I reiterated my enthusiasm and then tried to inadvertently mention that I needed some water because I had thrown up. He being the gem that he is tried to help me and tried to slyly ask if it was okay that he tell me about this new girlfriend. Of course it was. The look on my face did not convey this, but of course it was.
He refused to let me drive home, tucked me into a bed and took care of me. He even made sure I got back to Richmond the next morning. Such a gem. Don't worry, I did e-mail him once I was home, showered, and feeling a little better to clarify that I was excited for him. No more confusion.
So...
If that's not the absolute worst timing in the world I don't know what is. At the time I thought it was food poisoning, but I think it was the stomach bug that went around the East Coast a couple weeks ago.
It makes me laugh so hard thinking about it and I've been cracking myself up for weeks. Don't worry the poor guy has been laughing too... just probably not as hard as me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh my, that is quite a story indeed. I hope you're feeling better and it sounds like all is well with this man friend. For what it's worth, i often feel like my life is a series of chick flick awkward moments as well :) miss you!
Wow, if I were his girlfriend, I think I'd be kinda peeved he took you on a date!
Becca - Definitely feeling better and back to the grind. Hope Boston is treating you well and you're enjoying being back! I need to call you sometime soon to catch up.
Kate - normally I'd agree, but I regularly grab drinks with single/dating/engaged/married/etc. men for work. If drinks with friends or drinks with colleagues count as dates than my social life just got A LOT more exciting and I just got A LOT more trashy. lol. It's just a part of the job.
Ha. That's awesome. What timing!
...kind of like throwing up right after they take your blood...makes you feel like a pansy.
Post a Comment