I know I alluded to this in a previous post... but it keeps coming up more and more in just about everything around me. People are struggling. Not just strangers. Not just me. Everyone.
I think we're in a full societal lull where we are evaluating life, jobs, relationships, friendships, happiness, and emotional well being to the core. There's a lot out there that is great with the world and great things are happening, but that doesn't mean we have to be living in some kind of unreasonable state of pure joy and happiness. What else did you expect from me? I am a realist after all.
I know of very few people right now who would honestly answer the question of "How are you doing?" with "Wonderful! Never been better!". Sure some will always answer that way when they're masking their true feelings or are merely answering with a mechanical response without thinking about how they are really doing.
I have taken more than a couple people off guard over the last month when I gave an honest answer to that question. I suppose I could have answered with only a mediocre representation of how I was really doing if I said "ok" or "fine", but that really isn't how well I'm doing.
I guess I could pretend like everything is okay and just say that "life is good" or answer in other affirmative yet undescriptive manner. This would merely be dishonest or some sort of coping mechanism to pretend like life has to be good all the time. This may just be me, but I think that if someone takes the time (whether because of social nicety or because they genuinely care about you) to ask you the question then they deserve an honest answer.
So over the past couple of weeks I've responded with "I'm struggling". "It's been a rough week". "I'm really just plain exhausted". That may be too honest, but it's what is written all over my face and body anyways - I might as well let them know.
What's the worst that could happen? They don't dote on me? I never wanted that anyways. They don't care? That's fine... life is already rough so I'm not losing anything. They ask more questions? Great - they're a friend who wants to know about my life.
So... to all of you... how are you doing? How are you really and truly doing today and what can I do to make it even better?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Number 1: I love you. And even though I am far away, I'm sending you a big hug.
Number 2: I think we need a date-phone, skype, gchat-something! Cause I miss you and I want to know whats going on in your life.
Number 3: I hope you and Lori both know how much your present has saved me the last few days...even the one that said 'SUCKA'!
Number 4: Did I tell you I love you already?!
So this posted reminded me of...well me. http://pressedlinens.blogspot.com/2010/05/growing-in-progress.html
Thanks for sharing. It's not always easy to take down the walls and admit that things are rough, especially because a lot of times there is nothing anyone else can do to fix it. I'm sorry that things have been busy and hard for you. I understand that feeling. I could tell you all the things you already know, but I won't because I would hate it if you did that to me. So just so you know...I appreciate you. And if you need anything...I'm here.
Amber didn't answer the question!! (Yes, I was THAT kid in school - not really, that's a lie).
As for me, things are going well (no, honestly) except that I totally binged on sugar this evening...I call it carboloading for the race Saturday...that works right?
Other than that, I am excited/nervous about my missionary coming home. Excited for Ben Folds. Currently I like work because it keeps me fairly busy and I like to be busy.
So there you have it, an honest, "I'm doing good" :)
Yep. Life bites right about now. It's been that way for almost a year. I concur.
Post a Comment