Friday, February 6, 2009

It Is Time To Be Prepared

This came through from the LDS Gems for Young Single Adults today.
"We live in a most exciting and challenging period in human history. As technology sweeps through every facet of our lives, changes are occurring so rapidly that it can be difficult for us to keep our lives in balance. To maintain some semblance of stability in our lives, it is essential that we plan for our future. I believe it is time, and perhaps with some urgency, to review the counsel we have received in dealing with our personal and family preparedness. We want to be found with oil in our lamps sufficient to endure to the end."

- L. Tom Perry, "If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear," Ensign, Nov. 1995, 35
This is surely for our generation as much as any other. Up until a year and a half ago I semi-pushed against the idea of preparedness at my age because I was so transient or at least made excuses that my transiency prevented me from doing anything until I settled down, but over the last couple of months I've realized that there are things I can do. I've been trying out recipes and making sure I have at least a semi-full cupboard that I can sustain myself on for quite some time. Costco helps this... and it means I don't have to worry about grocery shopping as much - a great thing when you don't live on a normal 9 to 5 life. I'm still not entirely sure what that would be like... I've also learned that sometimes it's just a matter of saving money. Putting away a reserve of cash so that if anything happens you can at least fill up your tank of gas or get food. That may be counter-intuitive to the - always be prepared and your house could be cut off from the rest of civilization image that we all know, but sometimes that preparation just isn't feasible. In those circumstances... I'm doing what I can and will continue to do so...

The thing that first struck me was the mention of balance. This is still way out of my reach... but maybe someday I'll know what that is...

No comments: