Friday, February 20, 2009

23 Pictures for 23 Years...


Remember that time when I told you all that I wouldn't post until the middle of March? Yah... apparently I lied... but really... this will be it for a while.. I am addicted to blogging and I love that some of you even visit this little page, but life is a little crazy and I need to get that under control. Also - this just happens to be your lucky day... because I have pictures from my childhood on my external hard drive - GET EXCITED!
On an unrelated note... today's my 23rd birthday. I still don't feel 23. I both feel much younger and much older all at the same time. I still feel like a fledgling 19 or 20 year old at times; other times I feel like an old woman. I know I am very young and I've got years of exploring, adventures, and growing, but it still feels like a new chapter in life... a chapter filled with more happy hours than study sessions and more traditions than moving boxes. I'm excited to see what the next year holds. I'm excited to win the election and to finally stay in one place long enough to fully unpack my belongings. Most importantly I'm excited for friends new and old - seeing the old ones move forward into marriage, babies (oh my goodness!) and reaching all of their personal goals. I'm excited to meet new people and to build relationships with all of the new people I'm meeting here and around Arlington.
There's a lot of things I never thought would have happened over the last 23 years and there are things that don't surprise me one bit. On the whole I am extremely blessed and happy to be where I am even if it isn't the exact place I would have guessed I would be in even a year ago.


The following are my general thoughts about my life (over the last 5-10 years or so):

What Surprises Me:
  • Working in American Politics
  • Moving all around the country and truly seeing the greatness that makes America
  • Not being done with a graduate program yet (at some point this will happen).. or even starting one...
  • Still being single - not that I was ever in a rush to jump into marriage, but I always thought I'd be married by now
  • Not having my life planned out... and not sticking with any of my plans...
  • Being able to get along with other girls - you guys have become some of my favorite people in the whole world and yet even 5 years ago I was incapable of a normal relationship with a girl
  • That the socially awkward semi-loaner became the popular "social glue" - really... who saw that one coming?
  • That thousands of people actually like/love me - the quirky, awkward girl
  • At some point I overcame whatever body issues I had and have become far too comfortable in my own skin... and that was even before the last couple of months...
  • Not playing soccer in years - largely because of time constraints, but it isn't as much of my life as I thought it would be
  • Essentially doing pro bono work/my pay rate... I was DEFINITELY NOT that girl...
  • The diversity of my closest friends around the country - Cassie, Maria, Eliza, Hieu, Burtie, Melissa, Jourdan, Carolyn, Yale, Michelle, Ty, Ike, Becky, Mike, Becca, Adam, Michael, Holly, Logan, Lindsay, Jason, Adi, Wendy, Morgan, the East Bay gang, The ENTIRE Enclave, Joe, Cory....

What Doesn't Surprise Me:
  • Being Independent and Self Reliant
  • Living on the East Coast
  • Not serving a mission (it's never really been something that felt right for me... except for that time in Paris ;) - Love you L and C)
  • Being happy - truly happy to the core
  • Becoming even more deeply and personally attached to the gospel of Jesus Christ
  • The fact that faith and my competitive ambition got me through the rough spots
  • Moving away from my family brought me closer to them and helped me to appreciate them and love them even more
  • That becoming popular and well liked didn't matter at all - it was all about how other people felt around me
  • Having all of the options on the table at this point
  • My continued love for hot chocolate and anything with a rich, savory sauce or salsa
  • My regular fight with pride - probably going to be a lifelong battle
  • That Carolyn and I are back together... first friends, second East Coast conquerors
  • Continued optimism in the future - in spite of current public sentiment
  • The people in my life are really what matters the most - family, friends, colleagues, and mentors... they have shaped me and made me who I am today.

On the whole - I don't know that I could be happier. I've had so many amazing opportunities to be where I am right now. I absolutely believe in Heavenly Father's guidance and love as He has shaped me and molded me into who I am today. Sometimes that molding was painful and humbling, but in the end I was stronger and more refined as a result. The downs taught me so many lessons, but the ups made it all worth it. I've certainly had my fair share of ups and downs over the past couple of years - mostly ups - which I'm grateful for.
Here's to 23 years of awesomeness and another year to make the most of every opportunity!

7 comments:

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

You look BEAUTIFUL in that last picture by the water! Dang! And....HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I just want to tell you that your friendship means a lot to me, and my life is truly better because of you. :) I hope your Birthday is fabulous, because you certainly deserve every minute of that. LOVES! (PS, sweet pics...all of em!)

Andrea said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I ditto that you look beautiful in the river picture! My favorite pics were the soccer ones though! I think that this summer we should make soccer a bigger part of our lives. LOVE YOU!!

Becca said...

yes! i made the list.

Hope you have a stupendous birthday!

Jenna said...

How fun to take a little journey through your life using pictures. Happy Birthday!

Nikol said...

Happy Birthday Marissa!

Nicki said...

Happy birthday, Marissa. I'm so glad we finally met after so many years where we should have been friends. :) And I LOVED the picture of you playing soccer... I think you would have been the little girl I was terrified of when I played soccer. :)

Laura said...

Hey cutes, happy late birthday! So glad you were born and that we had a delayed family reunion. :)