I redboxed a couple of movies this weekend while I was packing - mostly chick flicks and the Chronicles of Narnia. In The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. King Caspian introduces his crew to "Edmund the Just" and "Lucy the Valiant" after they rescue them from the sea. I had been thinking about similar things a couple of weeks ago when Lori and I pulled out our pedigree charts (not kidding... we are that nerdy... or at least I am and I think I'm rubbing off on her) and discussed our ancestors.
Marissa fun fact: I'm related to the Norman Kings through my mother's paternal line. This also means that I go back through the Viking and Nordic kings back to some of the first Scandinavian kings with Fornjotur King of Kvenland. Some of these royals also have earned positive.... or not so positive epithets to go with their names.
Some of my ancestors are:
- King Dag "The Powerful" - born about 431 in Sweden
- Aun "The Aged" Jorundsson King in Uppsala - born about 509 in what would be Sweden
- Halfdan "The Meek" Eysteinsson King in Vestfold - born 768 in what would be Norway
- Ingjald "The Wicked" Onundsson King in Sweden - born 660
- Charles II "The Bald" - Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire - born 823 in Frankfurt
- Otto "The Great" - Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire - born 912 in Saxony
- Frances "Immigrant" Hopkins - born 1614 in England and immigrated to the Massachusetts Colony
- Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson - born 682 in Sweden
- Robert II "The Pious" of France - born 972
- Richard II "The Good" Duke of Normandy - born 963
- Robert "The Magnificent" Duke of Normandy - born 1003
- Louis II "The Stammerer" King of France - born 843
So here are the questions:
1. If you had to come up with an epithet for a name for yourself what would it be? (your name) the (epithet)
2. If someone else gave you a name what epithet would they give you? and,
3. What epithet name would you give me?
This will lead to one of the blog posts in my queue that you probably aren't expecting so get excited!
1 comment:
Ha! the best part was I was going to ask you if I could have one and also suggest one for you if you didn't suggest one for yourself by the end. So I love that you asked.
1. Jessica "The Snarky"
2. Jessica "The Weird One"
3. Marissa "The carbon copy" JK...we just have so much in common and I'm older. For reals now - Marissa "The Political" or Marissa "the Loyal" or "Faithful" or "loyally faithful"
Post a Comment