(referenced here). Colleen came up with the brilliant idea to make shirts in honor of our cousin Lamar who is a Major in the Marines since we were running the Marine Corp Half. Didn't they turn out great?Colleen planned out her training plan, read up on technique, anatomy, form, and even did a little one-on-one tutoring to prepare for race day.
I, on the other hand, ran a couple times, but largely ignored my running plan. I ran when I could and my schedule allowed. I only did 2 long runs - both of which were interrupted by late night calls to my blackberry. Not exactly the most ideal of training conditions. I also did all of my training on a treadmill in the middle of the night (fun fact: sometimes I consider whether I'm nocturnal... and then I remember that I'm awake during the day too).
Colleen ran the half marathon in under 2:30 hours and I came in just a smidge over 3. (3:03 to be precise). It was a great morning. We chowed down after our free massages and then passed out in my apartment for the rest of the day.
After some icy hot and a long stretch session this morning I'm feeling pretty good. My office mates took it upon themselves to mock the fact that I waddle more than the pregnant lady in the office. It is pretty funny, to be honest. By this evening the waddle is pretty minimum and all of the soreness/stiffness seems to be gone. I expect it will take a couple more days of stretching and walking to fully get back to normal.
A couple of friends have asked if I'll be training for a full marathon now... my simple response... don't you think I should train for a half marathon first? I'm thinking about doing another one in November after the election. I'll have several months to keep running at a reasonable pace and hopefully build in some long runs. The fact that it's in November does make me nervous, but I think I can squeeze it in and it does feel nice to have a goal to work towards. We shall see.
Thanks, Dad, for cheering us along and taking pictures of us! It was great to have you with us for the weekend!
9 comments:
It was fun to be with two of my girls, one who now specializes in running and the other who specializes in running campaigns. Evidently, when it comes to running half marathons, running and running campaigns aren't the same.
Proud of you both.
Wait, free massages? WHAT?? I'm signing up for a half-marathon TODAY!
@Dad - Sadly my hours and hours of training in running campaigns did not prepare me nearly as well as I would have liked... how cheap is that?
@ Linds - yep! They are only supposed to be 15 minutes so don't get too excited, but my girl gave me an extra long one since we were in line towards the end. Big win!
I haven't done a half yet. I keep getting injured. Anyway you are awesome. Maybe next year.
I mean I might run a half next year. Not that you will be awesome next year.
I am so super proud of you! And I hope that I have the motivation to run one soon! LOVE YOU!
I am beyond impressed! I just did a mere 5k this weekend!
I agree, it's time to train for a half - you are why I signed up, now here is the link.
http://www.richmondmarathon.com/race-details/half-marathon.htm
P.S. McDonald's sponsers the half which I have always found funny, but I am secretly hoping they hand out free fries with the medal.
Post a Comment