Friday, March 2, 2012

2 Weeks...

So remember that time when I gave up Dr. Pepper for Lent, a holiday I don't fully understand or celebrate? Yah... me too...

Well as of today it has officially been 2 weeks since I've had Dr. Pepper. This is a really big deal. I know it's a really good thing and I've already seen it have a significant effect on my body and long term health, but I'm also tired. Dr. Pepper was my excuse to get out of the office on long afternoons and the caffeine was an extra boost after particularly late nights. It got out of control, but at one point there was a purpose to my consumption. I'm left brained and logical - there's a purpose to everything.

I've been to many cocktail parties, restaurants, and even driven home well past a reasonable hour and still held to my commitment. Initially I was going to try to cut all soda out, but that's just hard to do with so many cocktail parties and bars I spend time in (judge away). So I've had my infamous pineapple juice and sprite when water just isn't appropriate. Otherwise I've become a water bottle fiend.

That brings me here. It's a Friday afternoon and I'm struggling. If I can kick the Dr. Pepper habit and get through some major projects that are currently on my plate over the next couple of months I'll be set. If I'm lucky I'll even get some motivation to run a little before summer.

Maybe run another half. Eek! I had high hopes to run the Marine Corp Historic Half in Fredericksburg again in May, but it's the morning after 5 District conventions and the end of a very long series of insanity. I'll be lucky if I can just wake up and be ready for church on time that day... and I DO NOT want to repeat that time I ran a half marathon without training at all.

So in continuation of this Lenten commitment I have a couple goals to help me get to Memorial Day with even an ounce of my sanity intact:
  1. Scriptures everyday - no matter where I am in the state and no matter how late I get home
  2. Get to the temple at least 3 times between now and Memorial Day - it's a scheduling issue not a commitment issue
  3. Attempt some kind of athletic activity at least once each week - this is a huge stretch
  4. No Dr. Pepper - working on it
After Memorial Day we can talk about my attachment to my blackberry at all hours... but that's way too much to throw on my plate all at once with the 3 major campaigns in my life. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Lee Harmon Waters said...

I loved your car note today!

Hang in there on the DP!!! I know it's tough, but you're going to start feeling so good soon because of [not having] it!
Good luck with all the other craziness in your life. Thanks also for the recommendation of sprite and pineapple juice. YUM!

Closer To Home said...

5. Hang out with young men more often.

Allie said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

The first two weeks are the hardest. But you can do it! I believe! I love your goals, ps. Carl and I should plan a temple trip too. I haven't been since the baby was born. :^(