Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My People...

I have people. Yes, that either sounds like I'm a high roller or a mobster, but I mean it in an entirely different way. There are just some parts of this world and some groups that I'm more at home.

Going to an event tonight with more folks from the legislative/governing side of town and less the political side of town just reinforced to me that I'm out of place sometimes. I feel at home with the old ladies of Republican Women's clubs and the hussle of the young campaign staffers. I like the long drives to clear my head and to see Virginia. I belong with Mormons talking about church and our odd social behaviors. I like my nerdy friends who keep me grounded.

I'm not sure if I just was never programmed with the same social code as is to be expected in this town. I don't fit in with high class society - I'm fairly down home and I like getting my hands dirty despite my best attempt to look the part with a solid pair of stiletto heals. I am still finding my way in the world for the most part. There are nights when I fit in with the quiet kids; Other nights I'm better suited for the loudest crowd of the bunch.

Tonight I was just off. I had a good time and I think it was important for me to go, but I was off.

I suppose we all have groups we fit in well with and the groups where we're a bit out of place. What groups are you the most comfortable and where do you belong?

2 comments:

LMemory said...

I am at home in small groups, where everyone loves each other. Family, basically. Cliques or groups where you have to prove yourself- nah!

Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

i'm afraid I belong alone. Oh dear.