Monday, October 10, 2011

Politics and Christianity

With Pastor Jeffers making the statements he made following his introduction of Governor Perry at the 2011 Values Voters Summit.... I am again reminded what a tumultuous time we live in. I think I naively forgot about this, briefly.

I get called a lot of things when I'm working and through work relationships. I think part of my job is to be a bit of an emotional punching bag for folks to take their grievances out on me even if I'm not the culprit. It comes with the territory.

But...

This is different. This is something VERY personal to me and something that I have very strong feelings about. (I'm certain you all are shocked that I would have strong opinions about anything...)

Pastor Jeffers took it upon himself... among hundreds of other people who have told me directly the same thing... to say that I belong to a cult.

Perhaps they just don't know what we believe. We being members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Maybe they are following in the traditions that have been passed down from the past. And maybe they want to do actual harm to something that everyday converts children of our Heavenly Father to the fold of Jesus Christ. It varies depending on the person.

There is no doubt that we are Christians. We believe our Savior atoned for our sins in Gethsemane and that is the only way we are able to return to our Heavenly Father after this life. We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and he was resurrected 3 days after his crucifixion. He lives. He appeared to the Apostles and other supporters and he appeared with our Heavenly Father to the young Joseph Smith in 1820 in a grove of trees. He is truly our Savior.

As for me I will continue to work to come closer to my Savior and continue to try to be a better person. I know that my church is inspired by God. No matter what anyone says or what consequences it may bring this knowledge is the foundation of my life. It is the foundation of who I am as a person and where I am going. If any of you want to know what it means to be a "Mormon" or what we really believe - just ask. I'm happy to answer and happy to explain.

Take a look at this talk from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, an Apostle of the Lord, as he talks on the subject just a few years ago:

No comments: